Managing performance has never been tougher especially with remote working and virtual collaboration. Whether online or face-to-face, a performance review is not just another meeting. Our people need appreciation and validation for their work. The performance review and appraisal process is an important aspect of this. Your staff want to know how they are doing so far. People managers need to inspire staff with a sense of meaning, hope and reflection instead of merely going through the process.
Much of the unhappiness on performance reviews come from a lack of understanding of what performance management is, how reviews and appraisals are carried out and how people managers can inspire empower their staff to take control of their performance and rise up in these challenging times. Performance review and appraisal need not be a paper exercise and demoralizing affair. People managers can step up to show leadership, vision and empathy with effective and meaningful performance reviews.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Apply evidence-based behavioural observations to link individual’s strengths and work achievements to organizational competencies;
- Apply SMART goal setting and deep conversation techniques to explore issues of ownership and commitment to goals;
- Apply a growth mindsetand interests to uncover different sources of motivation to increase drive and performance; and
- Deliver performance and development feedback and improvement suggestions motivate high performance.
- Exploring the role of performance review.
- Understanding workplace drama in managing performance.
- Preparing behavioural based observations.
- Using growth mindset in performance conversations.
- Crafting honest, specific and supportive performance feedback.
- Structuring and navigating performance reviews.
- Building trust and rapport in review meetings.
- Delivering performance feedback with care and honesty.
- Using language of appreciation in performance conversations.
- Using questions to uncover motivation.
- Setting SMART goals.
- Deepening ownership and commitment through conversations.
|Virtual workshop||Face-to-face workshop|
|2 sessions of 2.5 hours, each conducted on a conference platform.||1 day|
Both formats will be interactive and engaging with role plays, discussions and polls. A pre-workshop survey will be used to identify specific challenges faced by the participants and these challenges will be addressed in the workshop.
We will also align with and use the client organization’s performance review process.
People managers who want to use performance reviews effectively to manage, inspire and lead staff to higher performance.